Sunday, March 30, 2014

DARLING POPPIES

The California state flower is the California Poppy. When they are in bloom, you see gorgeous fields of these beautiful orange-colored flowers. During our years of living in Canada, it was very evident that the red poppy holds great significance in regard to remembering those who gave their lives for their country. On Remembrance Day (Veteran's Day in the U.S.), everyone wears a red poppy on their lapel, blouse, shirt, etc. as a sign of their gratitude for and recognition of, those who have served in the military.  Poppies have also become popular flowers in crafting - lots of dies, stamps, etc. incorporate the poppy. I recently received this beautiful poppy die (from Memory Box) and was so excited to give it a try! Here's the card I made:
I'm a very simple person, and like simple designs. I've been called a minimalist by friends. (I hope they mean it in a good way! :D)  This die from Memory Box is so beautifully detailed and delicate, I just didn't want to add much else to the card that could take away from it! I'm very pleased with the clean and simple, but elegantness (if that's a word!) of this A2 size card. Here's how I did it:

The die cut was made with white cardstock. I saved the inner pieces of the flowers, colored them red (with Copic markers), then re-inserted them into the die cut. I really like that look better than just coloring in the empty space. The die cut was adhered to a piece of kraft cardstock then adhered, to a slightly larger piece of red cardstock with foam tape. I love dimension on my cards! This was then adhered, off-centered, to my white cardstock base. Then I added a very simple sentiment to the bottom right corner.

The die used for this card is Memory Box's "Darling Poppies" (#98879). To purchase the Memory Box dies used here, as well as other high quality craft items, please visit www.thefruitofmyhands.com  
for excellent prices and top-notch customer service!

No comments:

Post a Comment