Wednesday, March 28, 2012


Wow!!!  I don't now where the time went, but it seems like forever since I posted anything on my blog!  Yikes!!!

Anyhoo....I've been thoroughly enjoying an Online Card Class featuring Tim Holtz. It's been an AMAZING class, and I've learned so many foundational aspects of stamping (differences in inks and how they react with each other and other "liquids", differences in types of paper used for stamping and how they affect the image, differences in embossing powders...and the list goes on and on!!!)

Today's lesson, Tim taught about the effects of acrylic paints and crackle paints. These "projects" I'm posting here are some items I made incorporating the techniques learned today. I've chosen to make these into Christmas ornaments to share with my nieces and nephews this year. Yes, they are very non-traditional, but I kind of think they're fun. And I love the uniqueness of them.

Here's some close-ups of the individual butterflies:

These butterflies use the same die, only I used the butterfly "outline" as well as the "solid" butterfly. (See the explanation "How I did it" and my supply list!)

And, here's the close-ups of these butterflies:

Here's how I did it:

All the butterfly shapes were die cut with the Sizzix Butterfly die. My orginal die cuts were made out of regular medium-weight chipboard. I then decided to cut some of the "solid" butterfly shapes out of white adhesive-backed chipboard. I was concerned about the colors of the ink being more muted on the regular chipboard.

For the bodies of the butterflies, I adhered the white chipboard die cuts to the regular chipboard die cuts. I then covered them with a fairly heavy layer of Distress Crackle Paint (Rock Candy). Once the paint was dry, I covered the die with various colors of Distress Inks. (I stamped the Distress Ink pads on my craft paper, spritzed with water, and painted on my butterfly.) I LOVE that crackled effect!)

The center butterfly on the first 4 butterflies was cut out of regular chipboard with the same die. I sponged the small butterfly with Versamark ink, then brushed a heavy layer of Perfect Pearls powder over it. Then, I covered it with Glossy Accents to give the shiny effect. Finally, I embellished the body with gems and added wire for the antennaes. 

The "outlines" of the butterflies were also cut out of regular chipboard with the same die. I sponged the die cuts with Versamark, then heat embossed with embossing powder. I adhered the outlines to the solid body of the first 2 butterflies with dimensional dots for the extra dimension. The outline of the 3rd butterfly was adhered to the body with Glossy Accents.

The bodies of the last 3 butterflies are accented with Stickles. 

The strings for the ornaments were made using regular string and swiping them with a coordinating color of Distress Ink.'s the supplies:
Thanks so much for looking!!!!

Tuesday, March 6, 2012


I only have one of this particular label, so I was a bit nervous about stamping on it for fear of ruining it!  So, I decided to cut a beautiful frame using my Silhouette Cameo and I love the way it looked on the label!

Here's how I made the card:
I cut the border with my Cameo onto the wine colored paper. Then glued it to my label with Glossy Accents (lots of tiny areas to put just a dab of glue!). The label was then adhered to the patterned paper. Before adding the patterned paper piece to by card base, I cut the oval shape for the fleur-de-lis, stamped the image (stamp was inked with Versamark and heat embossed with gold embossing powder), and attached it to the paper panel with gold embroidery floss, which was glued onto the back of the paper panel.

Here's the supplies:
Glad you took a look!! :D

Saturday, March 3, 2012


This is just a very quick post! I participated in a 90 minute challenge with the Flickr Hero Arts group today. The challenge was to make a card with "inchies" (1"x1") squares. Here's the card I made:
Glad to have you visit!!  Come back anytime!


Here's how I did it:
I colored the wine label with Copic markers, then punched the edges with a border punch. The label was glued onto a piece of patterned paper of which the edges were distressed with a distressing tool. This was then glued on to my card base. I thought I was finished, but then decided to add some Flower Soft for dimension. I made my own color for the hedges in front by mixing some Ivory Flower Soft with Meadow Alcohol ink. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out and the texture it adds to the card!

Here's the supplies I used:
Thanks for looking! :D