Sunday, January 1, 2012

Lily Pad Cards Chipboard Challenge - Card #1

I never used chipboard until this past year when I made Christmas ornaments out of chipboard.  I began using "regular" chipboard until I discovered the white adhesive-backed chipboard made by Quick Kutz.  The adhesive-backing was a bonus because I was die-cutting all my shapes, then adhering them together.  The white was a double bonus because I could stamp or color directly on the chipboard. I didn't think the "regular" chipboard took ink as well.  However, the white side of the chipboard had a bit of a gloss to it, so I decided to use alcohol inks, which was perfect.  When Lily Pad Cards decided to post a chipboard challenge, I decided to dig out my chipboard and alcohol inks and create some non-holiday cards.  So, here's the first one I came up with:
Here's how I did it:
I die cut the butterfly with the white adhesive-backed chipboard, then inked it with alchohol inks. Then I applied a layer of Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint and let it dry. For the main background, I stamped similar colors of Distress Ink onto a craft sheet, spritzed with water, and "smeared" glossy cardstock over the ink and let it dry.  The border strips were also cut of white chipboard and inked with alcohol inks.  The background and strips were adhered to a white 5x7" card.  


Once the crackle paint was dry, I adhered the butterfly to the card with 3D foam dots and added wire antennae and dots of Patina Distress Stickles.


I then bent wire to create leaves and adhered it to the left side of the card with Ranger Glossy Accents.  Hero Arts Sparkle Gem Blossoms were then added.  


The sentiment was stamped with Memento Tuxedo Black ink on glossy photo paper and adhered with 3D foam dots.


This was a very different card for me. I've never used wire on a card and the various "patterns" of the smeared distress ink on the background was unexpected. But, the end result was quite interesting! 


Here's the supplies:




Thanks so much for looking!!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Theresa! I just had to come by and tell you again how much I love this fabulous card! Gorgeous creativity on every inch of it! Beautiful work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous! love the whole card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More than satisfactory! Just gorgeous. Love the colors and gloss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theresa, this is GORGEOUS, like a Monet painting; LOVE the rich colors!! So glad you decided to join us at Lily Pad Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no way this card could be any more beautiful...it's so full of gorgeous color and artsy goodness! Using the alcohol inks for the chipboard was brilliant! I love everything about this stunner! I'm so glad you joined in the chipboard challenge at Lily Pad Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is BEAUTIUL! Congrats on the Lily Pad award:)
    http://visionsofpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your top 4 at Lily Pad, lol, had to make sure of the name, but glad i did, absolutely love the card, stunning!!!
      lotsa luv

      Delete
  7. Hi Theresa, found your blog & beautiful card link at Inky Fingers. This is an absolutely awesome card. I'm curious about the adhesive backed quick-kuts paper...that's new to me. Would appreciate a source if you have time. I've bookmarked your blog (I'm using my laptop while away at Christmas so none of my settings are right!) and will join as a follower when I get back home. Hope you'll come to visit me as well when you have time. Love your style. TFS and Happy New Year. http://carolinacardsbymaryh.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! Thanks so much for your VERY kind comments on my blog. I'm going to visit your blog as soon as I'm done typing this!

      I fixed the link for the adhesive-backed chipboard (Quickkutz), so if you click on the picture under "Supplies" it should take you to an Amazon page that shows the item. Let me know if it works for you!!!

      Blessings!
      Theresa

      Delete
  8. I saw your card on Pinterest, and it stopped me dead in my tracks!! I absolutely think it is the loveliest card I have ever seen! The colors are exquisite. I had to visit your blog to get more info. It is simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card, great technique!

    ReplyDelete